Nootropil Solution contains the active ingredient Piracetam. It acts on the brain and nervous system and is thought to protect it against a shortness of oxygen. Nootropil Solution is used in combination with other medicines to treat myoclonus. This is a condition in which the nervous system causes muscles, particularly in the arms and legs, to start to jerk or twitch uncontrollably.
• You are allergic to the active ingredient piracetam
• You are allergic to any of the other ingredients of Nootropil (these are listed in Section 6)
• You have ever had serious kidney problems
• You have ever experienced a brain haemorrhage
• You suffer from Huntington's disease also known as Huntington's Chorea
If any of the above applies to you, do not take Nootropil Solution and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Check with your doctor before taking Nootropil Solution if:
• You think your kidneys may not be working perfectly. (Your doctor may need to start you on a lower dose.)
• You have ever had any kind of bleeding problem.
• Thyroid extract or thyroxine
• Anticoagulants such as warfarin or acenocoumarol
• Low dose aspirin
• Any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking Nootropil Solution. If you are taking this medicine, use contraception to avoid becoming pregnant. If you are taking Nootropil Solution and you think you may be pregnant, consult your doctor immediately.
Driving and using machines
Nootropil Solution may cause drowsiness and shakiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
Warnings about some of the ingredients in Nootropil Solution
Nootropil Solution contains parahydroxybenzoate which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed). Nootropil Solution contains 23 mg sodium per 24 g dose of piracetam. To be taken into consideration if you are on a controlled sodium diet.
Also contains glycerol which may cause headache, stomach upset and diarrhoea.
• The usual starting dose is 7.2 g which is approximately 4 teaspoons of solution per day (using a 5ml measuring teaspoon). This will be approximately 20ml.
• It is best to split the dose so that the solution is taken on two or three separate occasions during the day (e.g. Two spoons in the morning and two spoons in the evening. OR One spoon in the morning, one at midday and two spoons in the evening.)
• When you start taking this medicine your doctor may tell you to gradually increase the dose to ensure that you receive the best dose to treat your condition
• Follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
How to take your medicine
• Swallow the undiluted solution
• Do not mix the solution with any other liquid
What Nootropil Solution contains
The active substance is piracetam. There is 1g of piracetam in every 3 ml of the solution.
The other ingredients are glycerol, methyl arahydroxybenzoate (E 218), propyl parahydroxy-enzoate (E 216), sodium acetate, acetic acid and purified water.
Made in Belgium by UCB Pharma Gmbh